Banner 468 X 60

Simply Heavenly! The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook



Simply Heavenly! The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook
Abbot George Burke,Holy Protection Orthodox Monastery | 1994-01-01 00:00:00 | Book Pub Co | 309 | Natural Foods
The abbot of the Holy Protection Orthodox Monastery presents some 1,400 vegan vegetarian recipes that use no dairy products or eggs, including delicious main courses and soups, as well as bean, grain, lentil, and vegetable dishes.
Reviews
great book! the amounts are a bit large, so you might want to halve the recipes. Some people have complained about the use of white flour, MSG etc, but a good sub for MSG is a 1/2 tsp of veg boulion. As for white flour - there is organic unbleached flour, and once in a while it won't kill you - substitute whole flour and be peace. Great 'everyday' receipes, which are excellent for cooking for people who are not vegans, or for taking to parties where people are not vegans - that way, you are assured of something to eat and they are turned on that veganism isn't 'brown mushy food'. Anybody who wasn't a vegan from childhood is going to crave old standbys once in a while - mac and cheese, ribs, pizza or the Sunday roast -and they're here.
Reviews
This is a great book and has some truly amazing recipes. It's sad that it has been placed out of print because some of the information appears to have been lost from the modern-vegan world. If you can find a copy of this book, definitely pick it up.
Reviews
This is an excellent vegetarian cookbook. It includes great recipes for dairy substitutes, beef substitute, chicken substitute, etc.



However, many of the recipes (especially the substitutes) call for gluten and/or yeast -- two ingredients that we cannot have due to health issues.



Just wanted to let that be known to others who cannot use those ingredients.



Still, lots of great vegan recipes.



Edited to add: For those to whom it might matter, this monastery is not in communion with the Orthodox Church. It is a "Gnostic Orthodox" monastery.
Reviews
This book is simply heavenly! lol Seriously! It's absolutely amazing. The book is filled with vegan recipes, has faux meat recipes, "nice cream" recipes, even has a dog/cat food recipe that's vegan! Some of the recipes aren't very specific.. Like there was one for a Thai dish that didn't specify which vegetables to use, but I guess the author wanted to allow some flexibility & imagination. Overall, I love this book. I've purchased 2 of them from amazon. I gave one of them to my rabbi & he & his wife use it all the time. The recipes have helped with their blood pressure & diabetes & stuff. It's got a wonderful variety of recipes, with 1400+ to choose from. You've got Cajun foods, Asian foods, Southern style foods, desserts, faux meats, soups, salads, breads, various recipes for vegan 'eggs', and like I mentioned before, even a recipe for pet food! Even if you had to pay 70+ dollars for the book, I'd recommend buying it.



Just keep an eye out for it on Amazon. I bought my second copy from here for like 25.00. :)
Reviews
I cannot say enough good things about this cookbook. I bought it ten years ago after deciding to prepare more vegetarian meals for my family. We loved almost every recipe I tried, especially Shepherd's Pie, Unbeef Gravy, Unchicken Pot Pie, Swiss Unsteak, Oat Burgers, and Indonesian-Style Tofu. When my grandson was born three years ago with allergies to eggs and dairy products, this cookbook became a life-saver. It is difficult to get enough protein in the diet of a small child without using milk and eggs, but not with this cookbook. With these recipes you can make the dishes all children love, like Cheez Pizza and Macaroni and Yeast Cheez Casserole. I adapted Abbot Burke's recipe for Anadama Bread into a high-protein bread my family loves. You can find the recipe for "Jack's Bread" at [...]. Finally, here is something I have wanted to say for ten years: "Thank you, Abbot Burke and the Holy Protection Orthodox Monastery, for providing us with healthful, tasty, satisfying, and earth-friendly recipes. We love you."

Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download


0 comments: